Sunday, August 28, 2011

Shows I Loved as a Child

♫ Picture pages, picture pages, open up your picture pages.  Time to let Bill Cosby do a picture page with you ♫

Does anyone else remember that little song? I used to watch Nickelodeon every day as a kid and Picture Pages with Bill Cosby was one of the things I loved.  I think it's time I make a list of these things and see if there are others out there who remember these long ago first favs of mine.  (These are not in any particular order)

1. Rainbow Brite:
 I LOVED Rainbow Brite.  I used to beg my mama to give me a "side ponytail" so I could be just like her!! I remember getting Rainbow Brite sheets for my birthday when I was 6 years old.  Wish I still had them.

2.  Belle & Sebastian:
  
This show was . . . EPIC!! I remember loving it so much.  It was about this boy (Sebastian), who lived in the Alps, and his huge dog (Belle).  I think this dog is the reason I want to own a St. Bernard.  I mean, seriously, with a dog this large, if your car breaks down (as mine often does) you've still got a ride to work!

3. Rose Petal Place:
 

Okay, so I confess. I can't remember if this was a tv show or just a doll that was out during the early/mid-80s.  But I remember I thought she was so cool and I wanted one.  She smelled like roses, if you can imagine. lol

4. Pinwheel:

Did anyone else watch Pinwheel? It was just one of those little Nickelodeon shorts.  I can still remember the words to the theme song!

5. The Little Prince:

This was a show I watched every day.  I just thought it was a great show.  It wasn't until I got older that I was introduced to the actual work by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, which I now also love.  The show was about this Little Prince who lived on a tiny planet where he spent his time cleaning tiny volcanos and taking care of a very persnickety rose plant.  He would use his net to catch shooting stars as they passed by his planet and they would bring him to earth where he would have adventures.  Much loved by me is this old, lesser-known cartoon.

6. David the Gnome:

I remember watching this and Maya the Bee during the summers when I would go to visit my Mamaw.  I enjoyed this one a lot.  I'm trying to remember did Tom Bosley do the voice of David for the American version? Anyone remember?

7. (The afore-mentioned) Maya the Bee:

Another great Nickelodeon show!

8. Gummi Bears:

There's no other way to say this except that this show was the BOMB DIGGITY!! I loved this show.  I can still sing all the words to the theme song.  I also remember my brother, Eric, had a Tummy Gummi stuffed animal.  Just a teeny bit jealous of that. :)

9. The Bozo Show:
I remember being so excited when we first got cable.  I was 5 years old and my mom said "We're going to get cable and when we do, you'll be able to watch The Bozo Show." It only came on WGN and at the time we were living in TN and it was not a local station for us.  I remember thinking how I wished I would be an "at-home" winner for the Grand Prize Game.  Sure would've loved one of the Schwinn bicycles.  I still, to this day, cannot hear Schwinn bicycles without thinking of The Bozo Show. :)

Is it just me or are cartoons/kids shows not this awesome anymore!?  I feel sorry for the kids now who are growing up in the age of reality tv and shows like Hannah Montana.  They are missing out on some of the coolest shows ever!  Did you watch any of these shows? What do you remember about them? If you watched different shows, what shows did you watch? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment